Phantom Class Forum

• June 26, 2024, 07:58:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom Sailing Tips  (Read 8263 times)

SChilds

• Global Moderator
Phantom Sailing Tips
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »

I have had a number of people asking for advice on Phantom Sailing Tips etc.

I wonder if we have any budding film-makers out there?

Perhaps we could organise a couple of training days / weekends over the winter, where we could video the main points and maybe take some action shots of some of the top guys sailing and get it on a DVD ?

What do you think - anyone got the equipment / interest ?

Could have a few topics:

Boat Set up
Starting
Upwind - Light/Heavy Wind
Off wind - Light/Heavy Wind
Waves sailing
Tacking / Gybing

Could be a fairly big job, but we could do it in pieces depending on the conditions venues.

May be able to get some sponsorship if we logo'd up some of the boats, demonstrating ??
Simon
1376- :-)

andymacintyre

Re: Phantom Sailing Tips
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »

I'd be interested in a copy of such a DVD and would be quite happy to pay for it as well if it was decent quality.

Miniwebbuddah

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »

There is a helmet mounted waterproof camera available for about £100 - perhaps class funds could stretch to that for some in cockpit video?

Great idea - I'm happy to lead the apres sail training in the bar along with Val.

Jools

rockape

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »

Sounds like an excellent idea and i would be more than happy to lend my services if you require them in any way shape or form, Trav.

The Kitchen

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »

Great idea. I'll help Jools in the Apres department:) unless of course you need a volunteer for the "How not to gybe in a force 6" section!
1269 - Kitchen

Miniwebbuddah

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:08:49 PM »

Can we add recovery from a capsize or how to hop along the boom like the sugarplum fairy to the seminar.

Jools

Jon1196

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »

As a newcomer to hiking boats it would be great to have a DVD on how to sail the Phantom.   Especially the bit on how to sail with a camera strapped to your helmet.....

bertie bassett

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 11:13:21 PM »

great idea simon, but as it's 2007 can't we just post the videos on utube and embed them to this site...much like the skiffy boys have done http://www.mustoskiff.com/videos/wire2wire-tack.htm

Would we not need/want a better camera (borrow/beg/steal) than just the 100 pound 'helmet cam' - If people are going to give up time/effort to set this up then lets get 'great' quality footage that can then be re-purposed for lower quality usage - as it always gives us the option to do 'high quality' if we need it - Dinghy Show springs to mind..

Based on my experience videoing coaching sessions we need to be really 'crisp' on videoing specific sequences to get the learning points across. i.e 3 or 4 tacks in a row then stop. Plus if we're youtubing we might want to think about "learning points" in some kind of 'board' (like those infernal ask.com ads) or with voiceover guy..it could easily be 2 days work in 'post production' to make these v. good.

Anyone got a mac, final cut pro and knows how to make it jive? A windsurfing buddy of mine does that kind of stuff but for a living.. so I might struggle to get him to do it for free..but it would be awesome content provided the breeze plays ball...

Clive

• Administrator
    • Online Chandlery and Boat Bits
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »

Great idea Simon.  I have access to a professional Sony video camera through work, which I am sure I can use, subject to some extra insurance!!  I also have access to some video editing software, but not quite as good as final cut pro!

The helmet cam is a great idea and think this kind of footage would work really well.

As always I will help in the Apres department as well, cheeky vimtos anyone??
Carbon Clive

jeffers

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:55:13 PM »

The videos can be added to this site in the gallery, there are already several there. I have access to video editting (Sony Vegas) & flash creation tools that are needed to get them on here. I don't have a camera though. It would be good though to get it on DVD (which I could also do) to sell/give away, whatever. As said before this could be played at the dinghy show to help publicise the class. We would obviously need a Phantom Stud to be the lead character, not some ugly scrote like me, perhaps fresh from his starring role in Y&Y tests (out tomorrow I think) Nick O could star????
MaxiB
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:00:05 PM by maxibuddah »

Doug

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:12 PM »

Doug Conway

The Cat

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »

Now I know maxi is off his marbles.

Problem with the £100 helmet cam is that you need a £600 video camera or slightly cheaper Archios hard drive with the correct connections to connect it to.  Then you need to waterproof said expensive camera. 

I had a long hard look at all this.  The best way was to hide the camera inside the boat and have a lead coming out of the hatch. Suitably watertight of course. The the bullet cam can go any where as it is waterproof. 

When ITV filmed me for a piece on the Sydney Hobart race they Gaffer tapped a tape reciever to the deck and connect a remote bullet cam to the shroud.  The told me not to capsize as none of it was waterproof.  The shots were great though.  Sort this out properly and we can get amazing footage.  Have more than one camera and sync times and you can have in boat of boat.

I may work at it.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »

When rooster made their DVDs 'Boat Whispers' (which are actually very good) they used digby fox productions.  i think he does it all, as in provide cameras and editing.  Small issue is money!

www.digbyfox.tv
Doug Conway

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 01:51:48 PM »

I am not going for an Oscar in this !

Just a reasonable quality Video that we can add to. Dont really see that Head cams / onboard pictures is what we need just decent video camera and a rib + some on shore stuff.

;D
Simon
1376- :-)

Doug

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 02:33:13 PM »

I'll happily drive the RIB.

Might even be able to borrow one if i'm really nice.  Where did you want to do the filming?
Doug Conway

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up